about us

Our heritage

Church Christian School in Orange, CA
Photo

St. John's has been a cornerstone of Christian life in Orange County for more than 130 years.

St. John’s Lutheran School, an extension of St. John’s Lutheran Church, has been in existence since 1882. It is one of approximately 880 elementary schools under the support of the Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod, and is located within the Pacific Southwest District.

One of the oldest schools in Southern California, St. John’s Lutheran School was the first parochial school founded in the City of Orange and is located in the historic Old Towne District.

1881

In 1881, a small group of Lutherans who had settled in the area that would later become Orange agreed to organize themselves into a congregation.

Peoples Christian School in Orange, CA
1881
Walkers Memorial Hall Christian School in Orange, CA
1882

1882

In 1882, the St. John’s Lutheran Church constitution was signed by 13 charter members, and a Lutheran school opened its doors to nine pupils.

1883

In 1883, an old school house was purchased and served as both church and school.

School Christian Academy in Orange, CA
Photo
Church Christian Academy in Orange, CA
Photo

1913

By 1913, it was clear that there was a need for a larger house of worship and potential future growth.

Childrens Christian Academy in Orange, CA
Photo
Walkers Memorial Hall Christian School in Orange, CA
1882

1914

Six lots between Almond Avenue between Center and Shaffer Streets were purchased and the iconic Sanctuary was dedicated in 1914.

Peoples Christian Academy in Orange, CA
Photo

St. John’s Lutheran School has a strong partnership with the church and receives support from the congregation in its purpose. The church and school work closely together and share the same mission of creating disciples of Christ who have the opportunity to mature and become stronger in faith by connecting to God and His people in worship, growing together in God’s Word, and sharing Christ with words, service and resources.

Church Private School in Orange, CA
Photo
1927
Walker Hall was built for use by the church and the school
1929
Building A was erected as the first official school buildingBuilding A was erected as the first official school building
1953
Building B was built and then expanded in 1955
1958
Building C was added
2003
Chapman Building opened for instruction
2005
Preschool Building is dedicated
2019
New STEAM Lab for learning is dedicated
2020
New Field Turf is installed on Senne Field

Today, St. John’s Lutheran Church is blessed with more than 4,000 members, and school enrollment is over 800 students (preschool - grade 8). St. John’s has played a major role in the development and history of the city and continues to make an impact on the surrounding community.